Monday, February 21, 2011

It's the little DISCIPLines



Inspiration. It's burned a hole in my pocket and at this point, I'm not quite sure
where it's going place me. However, let's just say I've eased my way into these past few days of Paleo.

Sunday: Day 1:
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Ah, I still can't bring myself to pig out on veggies just yet that early in the day. So, inste
ad, I started with a blueberry & strawberry smoothie and two eggs scrambled. No pictures here, so just imagine...mmm.

The Paleo purists say that potatoes are the gateway carbohydrates. :) That sounds like a perfect place to start for me! Though rebellion or an easy transition was not the goal of my first few meals, I did have it in the fridge and I wasn't about to let a good thing go to waste (especially if it already was technically in the veggie party). Roasted Chicken with rosemary & sage cooked in white wine sauce with steamed spinach.

"So, how's the eating like a cave man goin'?"--My brother has CLEARLY meditated on how to
demoralize my squeaky clean goals (cough). "Woman. Yeah, that's cave WOMAN to you, bro." Thankfully a very generous gardner friend was filtering through his garden and giving away his abundance. In a crinkly grocery bag, I found gems of deep blue green! Collards!

OH, how I luve me some collards!
These were probably the most beautiful, healthy alkaline greens I have ever laid my eyes on. The texture, the color, the shape
...just nature's allure.

So, I cooked those suckers down with some onion & garlic...fascinating shades of green. They will be a perfect side dish! I'm so grateful for good, local produce and from such a dear friend!


Dinner was made of the collards and enchiladas. The recipe for the enchiladas was adapted from one of my vegan recipe books. The adapation is far better than the original. Spinach for the "tortilla" and a filling made up of jalapeno, sweet potatoes, chili pepper, onion, tomatoes & free range ground beef. Salsa for garnish &
baking! Scrumptious! It made for a fantastic lunch today (day 2) as well...



This evening, I went out with some dear friends. I hadn't really thought about eating out with Paleo yet, so I might have gone beyond some purist lines again...but I am learning and learning is a PROCESS. Geeze, conscience or legalism, get off my back!

Ruby Tuesday's does offer an AWESOME salad bar selection...baby green, green pepper, carrots, olives, a splash of sunflower seeds with a bit of balsamic vinegar and oil. Grapes were for a little sweet ending.

I also had a turkey burger with avocado (minus fries, bread, mayo--who needs that stuff anyways! It was fantastic as is). The picture was really blurry. :)

So that's it! The journey hasn't been too difficult thus far, but I am beginning to get the little cravings for something sweet now and again. Natural sugars should do the trick! It's the little disciplines that we find ourselves in that makes up the whole, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment